Tag Archive | "chapter houses"

Elgin Cathedral, Lossiemouth

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Elgin Cathedral, Lossiemouth


Residing in the northern part of Scotland, in Moray District, exists what is now the ruins of what was a once great and old structure. Lossiemouth can claim this great structure as its own. The Elgin Cathedral, which is referred to in many texts as the “Lantern of the North”, is an early place for the emerging and strengthening presence of churches and cathedrals dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

In that century the seats of Papal authority existed in surrounding areas both close and far away from Elgin itself. The position and residence of that seat was held by Bishop Bricius. For his own personal reasons and possibly for a greater cause, the petition was a success in 1224 when it was finalized. The original cathedral remained in its prior position in Spynie until the successor to Bricius who was in power when the cathedrals institution in Elgin was confirmed. Read the full story

Posted in Featured, Places To VisitComments (0)